Barrick & Associates, Inc.


Text 717-259-2262

1401 Baltimore Street

Hanover, PA 17331

Let's Schedule a call

Maybe you have moved out of your old house a while ago with hopes that it would sell quickly. Unfortunately though a few months have passed it is still sitting empty. Another scenario might be that you are moving into a new house but you want to do some renovating first. What you thought would be some quick fixes turned into major construction and an extended timeline. With both situations you have a property, an asset of yours, sitting vacant and at a higher risk for a loss.

What is Considered a Vacant Dwelling?

The terms vacant and unoccupied are closely related but slightly different. In order to know how to insure your property, you need to know how to define it.
  • Unoccupied: No one resides in the home but there is still furniture and other personal property in the house.
  • Vacant: No one lives in the home and there is no personal property inside.
  • Seasonal: A home that an insured uses one or two seasons out of the year.
  • Secondary: A property an insured can use all year but is used less than their primary residence.
It is best to talk with an agent when your home will be unoccupied for over 30 days. When this is the case, some insurance companies will deny claims under a standard homeowner’s policy.

Purchasing a Policy for an Unoccupied Home

Finding insurance for an unoccupied home might require some shopping around. Not all insurance companies will write this type of property coverage. In some casesĀ you can add an endorsement but in most situations a whole new policy will be required. These policies also tend to be fairly expensive, about 50% more than an average homeowners policy. However, it is still better to pay a little more for the right kind of insurance, which comes with the peace of mind that the insurance company will pay when or if you have a claim. For more information or to receive a free quote, call Barrick Insurance (717) 632-7270!