Surprising StatisticsAlthough the darkness of the night can provide coverage to a thief, most break ins occur during the day when people are most likely to be away from home. Some other facts that may surprise you are:
- Property crimes in 2015 resulted in estimated losses of $14.3 billion.
- There are about 2.5 million burglaries a year, about one every 13 seconds. However, police only solve 13% due to lack of witnesses or physical evidence.
- 7.2% of burglaries result in someone being injured.
- 65.1% of attackers knew the victim.
Keeping Your Home SafeSo how do you keep your home safe when you are miles away? Here are some tips that may help protect your home and give you some piece of mind:
- Invest in a home security system or device. Homes without security systems are 300% more likely to be burglarized. Plus, burglar alarms are a win-win, with potential insurance discounts on your homeowners insurance policy.
- Make sure all doors and windows are closed and locked before leaving.
- Keep your home well lit with exterior lights, especially around doors and windows.
- Make sure your mail and newspapers are not piling up. Ask a trusted friend or neighbor to pick up your mail while you are away.
- Keep your expensive toys like boats and ATVs stored out of sight.
- Keep your valuables in a locked safe. Also, ask your local insurance agent about scheduling expensive jewelry, furs, collectables, etc.