Call Us Today:
Follow Our Blog



April 2, 2018

Fires are unpredictable and the damage caused can be extremely costly to repair. In 2015 there was an estimated 365,500 home fires, causing 2,560 deaths and $7 billion in direct damage. In the U.S., an average of seven people die everyday from house fires. By 2014, one of every 338 households reported a home fire per year. Thus, home fires are an important topic to discuss.

Fire protection and prevention

Common Causes of House Fires

There are a number of things that could cause a home or building fire. Some of the top causes are related to cooking, candles, heating, faulty wiring, and smoking materials. Other causes would include Barbeques or grilling equipment getting too close to the home or flammable materials. Flammable liquids getting too close to a heat source is another common cause of fires.


Taking precautions is key to minimalizing damage, if not preventing it altogether. According to the NFPA (National Fire Protection Association) key precautions include :

  • Have an escape plan and practice it.
  • Smoke detectors can cut the risk of death in half. So make sure the batteries are in place and working properly.
  • Clean your heating system and fireplaces on a regular basis.
  • Install sprinkler systems in your homes or offices. This can cut the risk of death by almost 80 percent as well as the direct property damage by 70 percent.

Insurance Protection

Since fires are unpredictable it is important to acquire insurance coverage before an incident occurs. Insurance would cover not only your home,  but would also cover:

  • Detached structures
  • Personal belongings
  • Some landscaping

The cost of living if you have to stay somewhere else while your home is uninhabitable ( hotel stays and restaurant bills)
Fire protection is not only important for home but for businesses and rental properties as well. Every insurance policy can be different, so it’s important to talk with a professional insurance agent to know what coverages you have. For more information contact Barrick Insurance at (717) 632-7270.


March 6, 2018

Identity theft insurance

Identity fraud can be devastating! It affects your name and reputation, as well as your credit, financial history, and sometimes even your assets. It can take a lot of  time and money to resolve the problem and prevent any further damage, not to mention the frustration that goes with it. That’s why we say thank goodness for identity theft insurance!

Coverage Worth Having

Identity theft insurance will reimburse you for expenses incurred while trying to fight fraud and restore your name and credit. Depending on your policy, some of these cost would include:

  • Travel expenses
  • New Government ID’s
  • Lost Wages
  • Attorney Fees
  • Resolution Services
  • Expense reimbursement in connection with medical identity or tax ID fraud

Identity theft insurance generally costs about $25-$40 for limits of $15,000 to $35,000. It is usually an additional coverage offered with your homeowners insurance.

Protect Yourself

There are many other ways to protect yourself from identity theft including:

  • Never give out personal information over the phone if you don’t not know the caller or do not have a request in writing.
  • Shred all important documents
  • Check bank statements and credit reports regularly
  • Don’t carry around important information like your Social Security cards

Peace of Mind

Identity fraud can be a difficult and time consuming issue to resolve. Barrick Insurance can provide peace of mind by adding Identity theft insurance to your homeowners policy. Call (717) 632-7270 and ask about this coverage today!


January 22, 2018

Factors that affect your insurance rates

There is one common thing we hear in our agency on an almost daily basis. We have numerous insureds asking why their insurance is more expensive than their brothers, cousins, friends, etc. The truth is everyone’s situation is different and insurance is not a one-size-fits-all sort of thing.

Factors That Affect Your Rates

Insurance companies review many things before issuing your policy. This is why you cannot always compare your rates to someone else’s. Some of these factors include:

Gender & Age - Young male drivers tend to be more of a risk than young women.

Marital Status - Married couples tend to have fewer accidents than single people.

Where you Live - Higher populated areas have more cars which can mean more accidents, theft, and collisions.

Credit Score - The lower the better.

Occupation - Some professions are at lower risk of having an accident. For example, delivery drivers or journalist tend to be on the road more than say a pilot. Also police officers, paramedics, and insurance writers tend to be more careful on the road.

Vehicles Driven - Safety rating, size, and the age of a vehicle are taken into consideration. The cost to repair an older car can often be more than the vehicles worth. Older vehicles are more likely to be “totaled”.

Miles Driven - The more you drive the more likely you are to be in an accident.

Driving History - Accidents, violations, and previous auto claims can be a huge factor.

Coverages - Higher coverages are going to mean a higher premium as well as better protection.

Over time some of these factors may change. If you maintain a clean driving record and good credit over a period of time, you may see a drastic change in your premium.

Comparing Policies

Television and radio ads can mislead drivers into thinking they can easily get cheap insurance. What they do not always mention is that you might be getting the bare minimum coverages.  If you feel you are paying too much for insurance it’s best to contact your agent and discuss your policy. Barrick Insurance can help you find the best rates for the right coverage (717) 632-7270.


October 10, 2017

water and sewer backup

Damage to your property due to flooding stinks, sometimes literally! Backup of sewage from sanitary sewer lines in not only disgusting, it can be expensive and difficult to repair.

Water Backup of Sewers or Drains

Backup of sewer and water is a coverage that your insurance agent may have offered to you when you purchased you homeowners policy. It provides coverage if your drain overflows  or if your sump pump breaks, causing major damage to your house and valuable items. Reasons this could happen would be:

  • An aging sewer system
  • A system that combines storm water and raw sewage might accumulate more volume than it can handle, causing a backup.
  • Shrubs and tree roots seeking moisture will work into sewer line cracks.
  • Coverage amounts can vary depending on the state you live in. When trying to figure out how much coverage you need, consider your electronics, furniture, and flooring materials.

What is Not Covered

Water backup coverage should not be confused with coverage for flooding. That’s what Flood Insurance is for and it is purchased completely separate. When overflow from nearby creeks or rivers  cause surface water to enter your home, it is excluded from your policy. Subsurface water from a leaking pool or irrigation system is also excluded.

To answer any questions that you may have regarding your homeowners policy, call Barrick Insurance to meet with one of our experienced agents. (717) 632-7270


September 5, 2017

Flood insurance

Another flash flood warning! As you watch the news you may not pay much mind to it. After all, isn’t that what homeowners insurance is for?

What is Covered?

Homeowners Insurance will not cover water damage due to flooding.  You must purchase a separate flood insurance policy for that. You would need a policy through the government funded program known as the National Flood Insurance Program. This program covers physical loss caused by:

  • Floods & related erosion
  • Severe rainstorms
  • Flash floods
  • Hurricanes
  • Snow melt

The structure of your home as well as some personal property are covered including:

  • Building furnace & Water Heater
  • Refrigerators, cook stoves, and other built in appliances
  • Debris removal
  • Clothing, furniture, and other valuable items
  • Food freezers & their contents

Even if you do not live in a flood zone, it is a good idea to purchase flood insurance. About 25% of all claims occur in “low-to-moderate risk areas”. You may be eligible for a low cost Preferred Risk Policy.

Purchasing Flood Insurance

Unlike your home or auto, you cannot price shop due to the Federal government setting the rates. You can purchase flood insurance through your local agent. Barrick Insurance can help answer any questions that you may have. Give our office a call at (717) 632-7270.


June 13, 2017


Medical Payments coverage and Bodily Injury Liability differ in one big way. One provides coverage for you and one covers other drivers.  It is important to know the difference between the two when deciding how much coverage you want.

Bodily Injury Liability

Bodily Injury Liability covers another drivers physical injury when you caused the accident. It can also provide coverage for:

  • Pain and Suffering
  • Income Loss if the other driver is unable to perform their normal work activities
  • Legal Fees
  • Medical Expenses (hospital care, follow-up doctor visits, wheelchair, etc.)

Every state has a minimum coverage amount a driver must carry on their vehicles.

Medical Payments Coverage

Also known as MedPay, medical payments coverage follows the policyholder. It also usually covers  any passengers or family members in the vehicle. No matter if your walking, riding in a friends car, or on public transportation, your medical payments follow you, the policyholder.

Pennsylvania is a no fault state. So if the accident is caused by another driver, their Bodily Injury Liability will reimburse your medical expenses. If you caused the accident, your medical will reimburse your medical expenses. Even if you have health insurance, it doesn’t always cover injuries due to an auto accident.

Talk with an Agent

Insurance terms and coverages can be very confusing. If you have questions or are looking for a free quote call Barrick Insurance at (717) 632-7270.


May 2, 2017

Working with an independent insurance agent

Should I have full or limited tort, stacking or no stacking? What exactly is Uninsured & Underinsured coverage? How much Liability coverage is enough? When shopping for insurance, a person might feel very overwhelmed and confused. That’s why working with an independent agent can be very beneficial.

Types of Insurance Agents

There are generally two kinds of insurance agents, an independent agent and a direct agent. Captive Agents only represent one company and are limited to their companies products. There are also Direct Writers such as Geico or Safeco, who write directly from the company. They also only have access to their own company’s products. Independent Agents on the other hand, represent many insurance companies at once. They have the ability to shop for the best possible rate and coverage to fit your needs.

Smart Shopping

Shopping for insurance should not be taken lightly. It protects your most valuable assets! It is important to know what you are purchasing. Independent agents can help you with a number of things.

  • Understand insurance terms and answer your questions
  • Find coverage to fit your individual risks and needs
  • Shop different companies to find affordable rates
  • Assistance with claims
  • Meet with you face to face and establish a personal partnership

Finding an Agent

Barrick Insurance is an independent agency ready to assist you with your insurance needs! We wish to establish a successful partnership with our clients and companies, respecting their interests and goals. For help with your insurance needs give us a call today at (717) 632-7270.


April 4, 2017

Some tenants might assume that their landlord’s insurance will cover their personal property. The truth is that a Landlord’s policy gives coverage to rebuild or repair the actual building. Your personal property would have no coverage.

For rent

Renters Policy Coverages

Renters Insurance covers more than just personal property. It also covers

  • Medical Payments- covers minor injuries caused by you or your family members
  • Additional Living Expenses- pays for you to stay somewhere else like a hotel, if your rental would become inhabitable due to a covered loss
  • Liability- extra protection for legal expenses in the case you are found legally responsible for damage to others or their property

Your Personal Property

Some may reason that their property isn’t worth enough to buy renters insurance. However,  if you were to take an inventory of the things you own, you might be surprised at the value of your belongings. Take for example your television and it’s accessories, furniture, clothes, and other electronics. Would you be able to replace all of that out of your own pocket? Probably not!

Make a Smart Investment

Generally a renters policy only cost about $15.00 to $30.00 a month, depending on the coverage limits. For a dollar a day you can protect your possessions and much more.  Call Barrick Insurance (717) 632-7270 to receive a free Renters Quote and some peace of mind.


March 6, 2017

Car insurance form

An insured is anyone covered under an insurance policy. Many of us already know that. However,  there is a small difference between the insureds depending on how they are listed on a policy.

When you receive your auto policy in the mail, one of the first pages is usually the Declarations page. On the Declarations page there is usually a block that list the named insureds. There is a separate section listing all of the drivers on the policy. This brings up the question,  does it matter who is listed as the First Named Insured?

Insureds – Named, First Named, Additional

  • A Named Insured is anyone specifically named on the declarations page.
  • First Named Insured is the first person listed on the Dec page. This person represents all insureds on the policy and has the main responsibility of paying premiums, making changes, and cancelling the policy. They would also be the ones accepting any returned premiums.
  • An Additional Insured is someone not named on the Dec page but has been added to the policy through an endorsement. Thus they have coverage as well.

Review Your Insurance Policy

The next time you receive your new insurance policy make sure to look it over. Whoever is the First Named Insured will be acting as a legal agent for all named insureds. So make sure it is someone responsible and reliable. If you have any further questions regarding your insurance policy give Barrick Insurance a call at (717) 632-7270.


February 3, 2017

friends driving

Your friend’s car is in the shop getting inspected and he needs a car for the day. Knowing he is a safe driver you lend him your vehicle. Later that morning you get a phone call. It’s your friend calling to let you know he was in an accident with another vehicle. Your heart starts racing and a million thoughts go through your mind.

Drivers Covered Under My Insurance

Many drivers are not positive who would be covered under their auto insurance policy. Drivers covered would include:

  • Anyone living in your household, unless expressly excluded
  • Anyone whom you have given permission to drive your vehicle
  • Many people think that car insurance follows the driver when actually car insurance follows the vehicle. Your own policy would be the primary coverage should an accident occur.


Not everyone who drives your car is covered. As mentioned earlier, any driver that you have expressly excluded from your policy will obviously not have coverage. So it is important two think twice about excluding those who live in your home. Other situations not covered would include:

  • Theft
  • Non-permissive use: If you did not give your friend permission to drive your vehicle.


If your friend takes your vehicle without permission and is uninsured, your insurance will have to pay. You can also be held liable and possibly be sued for damages if:

  • You let an intoxicated/ impaired driver operate your vehicle
  • You allow an unlicensed driver to take your vehicle

Know your Insurance Coverage

It is important to know who and what is covered under your insurance. When you let someone else drive your vehicle remember that you will be the one filing the claim, paying the deductible, and accepting any rate increases. Never lend your car to someone you do not trust! Situations can vary and it is important to talk with a licensed agent before making decisions. If you have any questions and would like to speak with a knowledgeable agent contact Barrick Insurance at (717) 632-7270.


January 3, 2017

What to do after a car accident

Whether it’s a fender bender or a vehicle gets totaled, accidents can leave a driver feeling very shaken. When your nerves are on end it can be hard to think clearly. That is why it is good to know ahead of time what to do if an accident should occur.

Here are some steps to take if ever you are involved in an accident:

1) Take a deep breath and try to remain calm.

2) Check for injuries and call 911 if necessary.

3) Move out of the way of traffic as long as the accident is minor. If you are unsure of the well-being of either yourself or another driver involved, then do not move! Moving while injured may only cause more damage so wait for professionals to arrive.

4) Turn on hazard lights and set out any other safety equipment you may have, such as cones or emergency flares.

5) Call 911 and do not leave until the police arrive and have filed a report.

6) Take a picture of  license plates and any damage ensued.

7) Exchange information:

Names, phone numbers, driver license numbers, license plate numbers
Insurance companies, policy numbers

8) Notify your insurance provider and file a claim.

Being Prepared Brings Peace of Mind

Hopefully this review gives you some confidence, knowing what do after an accident. Having a reliable agent can give you peace of mind. Barrick Insurance can help you find the right auto coverages you need and will always be there when you need assistance.  Give our office a call at (717) 632-7270 or visit us online.


November 28, 2016

insurance for uber and lyft drivers

Ridesharing has become a very popular way of getting around. It is an easy, reasonable, and very convenient way of getting around. However passengers and drivers may not be aware of the insurance risks involved.

What is Ridesharing?

In case you haven’t heard of ridesharing,  it is not the same as using a taxi or limousine. It is a way for vehicle owners to transport passengers in their own cars for a small fee. Passengers can connect with a driver through a website or a smartphone app.

Not Enough Coverage

Taxi drivers are licensed by the state and are required to carry a certain amount of insurance coverage. Transportation companies such as Uber or Lyft are not subject to the same requirements. Although these companies provide some insurance coverage, it is usually not enough. In fact, consumer alerts have been issued to warn the public about the risks of using the ridesharing app as a passenger.

Personal Auto Issues

Many people do not realize that once they sign up to use their vehicle in a business manner or in the form of a delivery service they loose coverage under their personal auto policy. Even though your personal auto policy may have 100,000 in liability, when you sign up as a driver you may only have 30,000 in coverage under Uber or Lyft.

Contact An Agent

Ridesharing can be a very convenient tool when traveling around. Yet before using these companies as either a passenger or a driver, verify what auto insurance coverages you have. If you have questions concerning your auto policy give Barrick Insurance a call at (717) 632-7270.


November 4, 2016

College dorm desk

Preparing for college can be very exciting! It can also be a little daunting trying to make sure you have everything covered. There is so much to prepare for that some details including insurance coverage, can be overlooked. Before an auto accident or a theft should occur, it is important to review your insurance needs.

Personal Property Coverage for a Dorm

Most Homeowners policies (HO) only cover a certain amount of personal property, usually about 10%. Depending on what your child is taking to college, that limit may not be enough, especially when you start talking about electronics. It may be a good idea to increase your personal property limit on your HO policy.

Personal Property Coverage for Off-Campus Housing

Personal belongings for students living in off campus housing, are not covered under homeowner policies. Even the landlords insurance won’t cover your personal belongings. If your child is not living on campus it is best to purchase a renters policy.

Auto Insurance

Make sure to inform your insurance agent that your child is going to college. If the student is not taking the vehicle with them, a premium discount may apply. If the student is taking the vehicle, depending on the college location, rates may change as well. If your child maintains a certain GPA, you may receive a “good student discount”.

Let us give you some peace of mind!

There are a lot of decisions to be made when your child goes to college and it can be very overwhelming. Give our office a call a (717) 632-7270 and we will answer any questions you have. We can also help you find an affordable renters policy if necessary.


October 25, 2016

Many states, including Pennsylvania, require that a driver has a certain amount of car insurance. Sometimes though, the minimum a state requires you to have, may not be enough liability coverage in the case of an accident. Having the right amount of coverage can prevent the potential for financial loss.

Liability Limits

Auto liability covers injuries to  another driver, their passengers, and your passengers. State minimum limits refer to the absolute minimal liability and property coverage required by state law, in order for you to legally own and operate your vehicle.

In Pennsylvania the minimum liability amounts are 15/30/5. This means you would have up to $15,000 per person injured in any one accident, up to $30,000 for all persons injured in any one accident, and up to $5,000 for property damage in any one accident. So if you cause $30,000 in property damages and you only have coverage up to $5,000, you will need to come up with the extra $25,000. This could put your assets at risk!

Recommended Coverage

Every circumstance and situation is different among drivers. Most insurance companies would recommend at least 100/ 300 for liability and 100,000 towards property damage. To speak with a knowledgeable agent about your liability limits feel free call Barrick Insurance at (717) 632-7270.

Car crash


September 13, 2016


Usually when you get into an auto accident you swap insurance information and the at-fault driver’s insurance pays the claim. What if though, if you are involved in an accident with someone who does not have enough insurance to pay the damages? Maybe they don’t have insurance at all! This is where Uninsured and Underinsured motorists coverage would step in.

Underinsured Motorist Coverage

In Pennsylvania everyone who owns and operates a vehicle is required to have insurance. Still though, not everyone has adequate coverage. This could be if a driver only carries state minimum limits, which sometimes is not nearly enough to cover injuries or medical expenses. Your underinsured motorists coverage would then pay when the other driver’s insurance is not sufficient.

Uninsured Motorist Coverage

According to it is estimated that 1 out of every 7 drivers are uninsured. Uninsured motorists helps to cover cost incurred after being in an accident with a driver carrying no insurance. You and your passengers would also have protection if you are involved in a hit-and -run accident.

Adequate Coverage

No matter what state you live in or what the required limits are, you should always make sure you have adequate coverage. Save yourself some stress by reviewing your policies regularly. If you have questions call Barrick Insurance at (717) 632-7270. Remember to protect yourself not only with enough insurance but also by being a safe, alert driver.


August 15, 2016

Life Insurance

Does your family depend on your income? What would happen if you were to pass away suddenly? How would your family survive? The answer: life insurance. It can help replace your income in the event of your death, help pay your funeral and burial costs, create an inheritance for your children, pay estate taxes, and much more. But there is one problem with life insurance. Choosing the right life insurance policy can be confusing. Fortunately, we are here to help!

Choosing the Right Life Insurance Policy

  • Term Life Insurance: You should consider term life insurance if you need life insurance for a specific period of time. This is because term life insurance is exactly what it sounds like. You can purchase this type of life insurance for a specified term. This type of insurance pays only if you die during the term of the policy.
  • Permanent Life Insurance: You should consider permanent life insurance if you need life insurance as long as you are living. A permanent policy pays a death benefit whether you die tomorrow or live to be over 100. Because of this, premiums for permanent life insurance policies are generally higher than those of term life insurance policies.

Life Insurance Hanover

You’ve worked hard to obtain financial security. You understand the importance of protecting that financial security and the livelihood of your family. That is why you should choose Barrick Insurance. Feel free to give our office a call at (717) 632-7270.


June 14, 2016

Full vs Limited Tort

In the case of a personal injury claim, one of the first questions an attorney may ask is what tort coverage does a person have on their auto policy. When you buy car insurance, providers are required to give you the choice between limited or full tort. Many people do not fully understand what these options include and how they differ.

The Difference

Limited Tort limits your right to sue for pain and suffering, except in cases of serious injury. There are other certain circumstances that you may have a right to sue. An example might be if the responsible driver was driving under the influence of alcohol or another substance. Remember that this applies to your right to sue. It does not provide protection from being sued if you are the at fault driver.

Full Tort does not limit your right to sue regardless of the extent of injury, as long as the accident was not your fault.

What is Considered Serious Injury?

The law defines serious injury as death, serious impairment of body function or permanent, serious disfigurement. If you have elected limited tort yet your injury is determined to be serious, you will still have a right to sue for non-economic damages.

Counting the Costs

Selecting limited tort can save you money on your premium, up to 40 percent in some cases. Although you are saving money it is important to keep in mind what the future could hold. It is hard to anticipate the long term affects that an accident can have on your health. It is important to discuss with your agent the coverage you have and what your options are. The team at Barrick Insurance would be glad to answer any question that you may have. Give us a call at (717) 632-7270.


May 13, 2016

Personal Umbrella Insurance

A Personal Umbrella Policy is pretty much what it sounds like, an umbrella over and above your existing insurance policies. It acts as an extension of coverage for your homeowners, auto, motorcycle, renters, and condominium policies. A Personal Umbrella Policy (PUP) provides protection against devastating claims and judgements.

Why the Need for Extra Protection

Although you already have insurance for your home, auto, condominium, or etc.., it may not be enough in some instances. For example, you may have coverage up to $250,000 on your personal auto policy but say you are sued for $1 million dollars. How will you come up with the other $750,000?  Consider the following examples where a PUP may be necessary:

  • You have a backyard BBQ this summer and a guest leaves the party intoxicated. On the way home that person is involved in a car accident, injuring himself and others.
  • Someone falls down the steps at your home and sues you, costing you all of your retirement funds, savings, etc.
  • You are on a family vacation at the lake and decide to rent a jet ski. You hit someone that was swimming in the water causing severe bodily injury.

Policy Options

An umbrella policy is rather inexpensive and is written in million dollar increments. Policy limits are largely based on income and any additional assets that someone may have. You can speak with an agent as to what would fit your personal needs and circumstances.

Is a Personal Umbrella Policy Right for You?

Having a Personal Umbrella Policy protects your home, retirement, bank account(s), investments, and much more. It is your personal decision as to whether you want to purchase the extra coverage. As an independent insurance agent, Barrick Insurance can explain available options and answer any questions that you may have. If you already have a Personal Umbrella Policy you should make sure that it is up to date. Feel free to give our office a call at (717) 632-7270.


May 6, 2016

motorcycle and ATV insurance

KTMSpring is the perfect time of year to get your motorcycle out. It can be a blast riding trails on a dirt bike or ATV. Although it is a fun sport, it can also be dangerous if you are not careful.

The Need for Motorcycle Insurance

Many people do not realize that they can get insurance on their dirt bike or ATV. If it is not driven on the main road they may wonder why they would need insurance. Here are some factors to think about:

  • There is a high theft rate of four-wheelers and dirt bikes
  • Your homeowner’s policy may not cover accidents away from home.
  • Public or State parks may require ATV insurance


Coverage for your four-wheeler or dirt bike is similar to an auto insurance policy. The following coverages are important to consider:

  • Property damage liability coverage in case you should damage someone else’s property.
  • Bodily injury covers damages incurred if you are sued for injuring or killing someone in an accident.
  • Comprehensive coverage pays for damages caused by theft, fire, or vandalism
  • Medical coverage provides medical coverage for yourself and your passengers

Just as Important as Your Protective Gear

Just like your riding helmet and boots, insurance can be a major safeguard. Ride with the peace of mind that you are protected. Call Barrick Insurance today for a free quote (717) 632- 7270.


April 19, 2016

comprehensive and collision coverage

In the insurance world we like to use the term Full Coverage when discussing auto insurance. Maybe you have wondered what that means. Full coverage refers to an insurance policy that includes liability along with comprehensive and collision coverage. While Liability covers damage to another person, Collision and Comprehensive coverage are both designed to cover your own vehicle. Although they seem similar, they cover very different things.


Collision coverage helps to fix up or replace your own car after an accident regardless of who is at fault. It will pay for repairs associated with collision into another object such as:

  • Crashing into another Car
  • Crashing into another object such as a tree, light post, curb, etc.
  • Rolling your vehicle over


Comprehensive insurance is at times referred to as other than collision. It helps pay for damages that are not caused by a collision. Examples of accidents covered would be:

  • Fire
  • Falling objects
  • Theft
  • Vandalism

Both Comprehensive and Collision coverage pay for damages as long as they don’t surpass your car’s actual cash value. Yes it is true that the higher your deductible, the lower your premium will be. However, if you are in an accident you will have enough to pay that high deductible out of your own pocket. If you are questioning what coverage is right for you call Barrick Insurance to speak with an agent.


April 8, 2016

vacation car rental

You finally land at your vacation destination and you are ready to pick up your rental car. As you review the rental agreement you notice part of the agreement is on the loss and damage insurance. What do you do? Should you buy their insurance or is your personal auto enough?

Should You Buy the Coverage?

Our answer to you would be quite simply, yes. We generally advise our clients to purchase the rental company’s insurance. Although your personal auto may extend to a vacation rental there are many things your policy will not cover. Here are a few examples:

  • Drivers not listed on your policy. So make sure that your friends are covered under their own insurance.
  • Rentals being used for business purposes. Your personal auto does not cover business use unless it is specified in your policy.
  • Driving outside of the U.S.
  • Renting for long term use (usually more than 28 days)

Loss Damage Waiver

Rental companies also give you the option to purchase the “Loss Damage Waiver”. This is a major thing to consider because it relieves you from having to pay for the loss of use of a vehicle, should an accident occur. If a car is in the shop, the rental company is losing money. They will expect you to pay the losses which can be several hundred to several thousand dollars. (Don’t rely on your credit card to pay losses unless you have researched the issue thoroughly.)

Vacations are supposed to be stress-free and good preparation is key. Reviewing your personal auto coverage is an important task to include in planning your trip.

For any further questions concerning your personal auto give Barrick Insurance a call (717) 632-7270.


March 8, 2016

Vacant home

Not many people realize that if they have a house sitting empty, the standard homeowner’s policy will not cover the home in the case of a loss. For example:

  • A house under renovation
  • The empty home of a deceased relative
  • An empty house in process of being sold


These homes are more at risk for vandalism and malicious mischief. If damage does occur no one is there to fix the problem before it gets worse. For these reasons, after 60 consecutive days of being vacant they are no longer covered under a standard homeowner’s policy. (Some policies say 30 consecutive days. Each policy may vary.)

Vacant Homes

The next question would be, is the home vacant or unoccupied? The term “vacant” refers to “without content or occupant”, thus entirely empty. Whereas the term “unoccupied” would be a dwelling with furniture but no occupant. This would mean more than a chair and a few scattered books. There would have to be enough items left to make it livable; a refrigerator, stove, television set, and/or other items that make it obvious the homeowner did not permanently leave.

Your Coverage

It is important to know that you have the right coverage for your property no matter what the situation. Barrick Insurance can help you find coverage to suite your needs and circumstances.

If you have a home that is going to be vacant or if you have general questions about your homeowner’s insurance policy call us today at (717) 632-7270.

Contact Us       Homeowners Insurance

Our Location

Barrick Insurance

Barrick Insurance

1401 Baltimore St
Hanover, PA 17331
Main office: 717-467-4253
Toll free: 800-548-9810
Barrick Insurance

Our Providers


You provided us fast service for our Homeowner's Policy so our loan could be processed. What a great surprise when we got our Auto Insurance at half the price we were previously paying! Thanks to your courteous staff!!!
Vada & Stanley Sheeler, Hanover, PA
We bought our first house 14 years ago, Barrick Associates helped us to fulfill our insurance needs and at a great price we wouldn't change companies.
Steven & Diane Kagarise, Littlestown, PA
We were in a bind without insurance, and your agency was the only one that could help us out. Also the service was great. Thank you,
Mary C. Shildt, Littlestown, PA
You have a great staff, cheap rates and are always understanding. Thanks for a great service.
Crystal Treadway, Hanover, PA
I am well satisfied with the service and rates. Thank you.
Gerald B. Thoman, Hanover, PA
Yes, I am now 55 yrs. old and was dealing with your company since I was 16 yrs. Old, I am very satisfied with your service.
Allen E Mundorff, Hanover, PA
Any services that I have needed through out the years, has been very satisfactory. Your staff is very helpful. Thank you.
Donald A. Hinkle, East Berlin, PA
Thank you for coming to our rescue when we needed car insurance and homeowners insurance. We weren't happy the way our last company dumped us after over thirty years of good service. Your staff is very accommodating and cheerful. It means a lot to me when you can talk to a real person that is accommodating and happy to serve you! Thank you again!
Nancy E. Leese, Hanover, PA
I have been with you and your predecessor R.J. Topper Agency for 56 years. This is a testimony for it's self.
Rev Msgr. VIncent J. Topper, Harrisburg, PA
I am well satisfied.
Gloria A. Geesey, Spring Grove, PA
One phone call and all of my needs & requests are handled in a quick, professional, and courteous manner.
Hugh F. Hoffman Hanover, PA